You likely have a holiday budget in mind, but have you planned what method of payment you'll use? You might typically shop on autopilot – using the same debit or credit card, or maybe you stick to cash. So is how you pay something worth considering? Yes!

While you're focused on giving to others, why not give back to yourself? Here are a few ways you can make planning your payments pay off...

Do rewards get you going?

Love watching the dollars you spend turn into points you've earned? This can get exciting during the holidays when your spending tends to increase. Choosing to pay with a credit card that offers rewards means those points really add up. If that credit card is a Servus Mastercard® you'll earn Servus Circle Rewards® on your purchases that can be redeemed for merchandise (more gifts to give), money toward your card balance (pay off the holidays sooner), or even as investments (leverage holiday spending towards your future). Maximize your rewards - you've earned it!

Do you want to lighten your load and ditch your purse or wallet?

Photo of a person using a debit/credit card machine

Let's be honest – shopping bags accumulate quickly and tend to get heavier as you go along. Going cashless by pairing your Servus Member card® or Servus Mastercard with Apple Pay®, Samsung Pay or Google Pay means you'll have the convenience of paying with your digital device. You'll be able to instantly see each transaction made, which allows you to keep a close eye on your budget. Every day, more retailers are accepting digital payments in store, online or within their apps. Using your phone or smart watch means you'll have one less thing to juggle!

Are you hoping to avoid the crowds?

This year, 59% of Canadians will shop in brick-and-mortar stores according to data from PwC Canada's 2019 Canadian holiday outlook. That leaves 41% who plan to shop via their computer, tablet, smartphone or smart home device. If this is you, you might want to be choosy with the credit card you use. Consider paying with a card that has purchase insurance*, which protects eligible purchases for 90 days against loss, theft or damage anywhere in the world.

No matter what your holiday budget is, or how you plan to shop, planning how you'll pay has its benefits!

® Mastercard is a registered trademark of Mastercard International Incorporated.

® Servus Credit Union, Servus, Servus Circle Rewards and all associated marks are trademarks of Servus Credit Union Ltd.

® Member Card is a registered certification mark owned by Canadian Credit Union Association, used under license.

® Apple Pay is a trademark of Apple Inc.

* All features subject to the terms and conditions outlined in the cardholder documents.

Originally posted on November 2, 2018.