The User Experience (UX) Designer is an intermediate level position within the Digital Banking team. This role has interaction at all levels of the organization including members, senior executives, key business stakeholders and partners to design and implement innovative concepts and experiences communicated in the form of interactive prototypes that can be tested with end users and presented internally.
Reporting directly to the Manager Web and Digital Media, this role’s primary accountability is to design the user experience (UX) and user interface (UI) for digital elements including; Servus.ca, in-branch interactive/ digital signage and ATM. Execution needs to be optimized across multiple devices using design thinking and user-centered design (UCD) approaches, continuously develop UX best practices while integrating corporate standards within a cross-functional team. This includes all phases of the service design process including: user research, conceptual design/development, UX flows/navigation maps, wireframes, graphic and interface design (sketches & mockups), interactive prototypes, storyboards, persona/scenario development, usability testing, project deliverables and presentations to showcase designs to senior leaders.
This role requires a confident and creative individual with a versatile set of hands-on skills able to understand our users through both intuitive design sense and rigorous user research, meticulously considering user interactions and journeys while acting as an advocate for the constant improvement of both. Produce compelling experience designs to illustrate concepts iteratively and remain flexible to feedback and evolving ideas while acting as the design owner through conception, build, release and support.
Design User Experiences
- UX includes: user experience, user interface and interaction design.
- Collaborate with key stakeholders, analysts and other designers to identify the best solutions to a problem and increase our Digital Banking presence, conversion, transaction, and interaction through digital channels.
- Design usable and visually compelling user experiences and interfaces for the next wave and legacy of Digital Banking through their complete experience lifecycle.
- Create clear and effective design documentation, such as user scenarios and wireframes while working with defined design systems and brand guidelines to maintain consistency.
- Produce high quality design assets to communicate complex ideas in a simple format, often with short turnaround timelines. Build interactive prototypes of your designs:
- Lead the planning and prototyping process for new/enhanced member experiences
- Understand and incorporate business objectives
- Use web analytics, user research as well as data mining, and other techniques to develop recommendations
- Brainstorming creative solutions designed to meet business objectives and deliver enhanced and simplified member experiences
- Assist in the development and evaluation of user persona's and stories
- Design and iterate on concepts for web, mobile, and tablet experiences including usability testing.
- Turn frameworks or prototypes into usable interactions and iterate on them with users and delivery team members
- Create and maintain a UX best practice and standards library.
- Collaborate closely with cross-functional team members, partners and vendors to meet release schedules, support production applications and maintain coherent interaction designs.
- Represent the interests of the member and business when meeting with technology groups and vendors to ensure that the solutions proposed align with business objectives.
- Present design work, explain design choices, address feedback, facilitate consensus.
- Help resolve conflicts as they arise.
- Infuse User Experience capabilities across the organization by championing the importance of usability and user experience, executing on opportunities to deepen relationships, increase collaboration and mentoring team members.
Quality Assurance Oversight
- Work with delivery team members to assure design delivery.
- Provide detailed documentation for how designs should be implemented.
- Be readily available to delivery team members who may need to seek advice or clarifications on your designs.
- Build asset libraries for delivery teams to use.
- Get periodic feedback from delivery teams, assessing the effectiveness of your deliverables.
- Review the work of junior designers to meet high quality standards.
Trends and Market Changes
- Stay up-to-date on User Experience design trends and market changes.
- Research the latest UX/UI concepts, trends, best practices (e.g. designing for gestures, wearables, responsive web design) and technologies identifying potential opportunities for new or enhanced customer experiences and provide recommendations
- Understand upcoming OS releases for mobile devices and impact on Digital Banking user experience.
- Stay up-to-date on evolving landscape of design tools.
- Stay up-to-date on user experience trends and competing/emerging platforms across the industry.
- Develop a deep understanding of what Servus partners in Operations and other departments need to succeed in our Digital Banking channels.
- Create presentations that convey new ideas based on primary and secondary research to help Digital Banking make better decisions, address user and business problems.
- Understand digital platform ecosystems and back-office integrations (digital presence, members, products, markets, partners, process).
- Document enhancement recommendations.
- Assist with maintenance and enhancements backlog prioritization from a customer centric perspective.
- Assist in developing strategies to build awareness and adoption of the Digital Banking channels and their capabilities/functionality.
- Assist in defining the future of Omni-channel financial services by developing to create a clear, forward-looking view of how Digital Banking and channel strategy needs to evolve through the user's perspective.
- Assist in the creation of customer profiles, persona segmentation insights and evaluation of future products.
- A minimum of 2-5 years’ experience of user design is required; preferably for financial institutions or ecommerce, in web apps that leverage emergent technologies, consumer electronics and/or mobile devices.
- Strong conceptual skills, along with the ability to communicate your vision.
- 2-5 years of user experience design is required demonstrating a history of design thinking and user centered design.
- Experience designing for multi-device experiences such as responsive, adaptive and mobile.
- Understanding of Voice of Customer (VoC) advocacy, customer insights/analytics.
- Understanding of User research, user interface design, user interaction design, usability testing and standard UCD methodologies across platforms and devices.
- Experience participating in usability workshops including the ability to plot and map a user journey from discovery down multiple engagement routes through journey completion.
- Experience in Persona creation, user experience journey maps.
- Strong conceptualization and communication ability demonstrated through visual story-telling skills from white boards and wireframes to high fidelity prototypes.
- Visual design skills: Web design, graphic design, motion design, 3D visualization, style guides, HTML/CSS.
- Fundamental understanding of coding for the web including HTML, CSS, JS, etc. to bring high fidelity prototypes to life
- Experience in creative web/mobile/app development projects (Agile/Lean – Alpha, Beta, Omega releases).
- An understanding of common software life cycle management and software development practices.
- Experience working with senior leaders and executives.
- An innovative and highly motivated spirit, comfort with ambiguity and ability to thrive within a fluid and collaborative, multi-platform, multi-device ecosystem.
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to build trust and partnerships with key stakeholders.
- Strong listening, verbal, written communication skills with the ability to propose big ideas to communicate design opportunities, explore them visually, and distill them into an actionable direction across all levels in the organization.
- Ability to manage multiple timelines and commitments including working with virtual project teams with quick turnaround times.
- Ability to take action on ambiguous/complex topics.
- Capacity for constant learning from success and failure, remaining open to change and continuous improvement.
Education and Training:
- Bachelor's degree in Design in Visual Communication, user experience, graphic design or related field or similar an asset.
- Agile/Iterative training / experience
- Professional Design Education in Human-Computer Interaction Design, Digital Arts & Media Graphic Design, User Experience, Interaction Design or comparable design field is desirable.
- Certificates and Courses in User Experience considered an asset.
- Expert software and tool knowledge of wireframe and prototyping design tools such as Adobe Creative Suit (Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign), InVision, Axure and/ or Sketch.
Other special requirements:
- Weekend or shift work, available to travel, etc.
- The business may from time to time ask for branch and/or department support for special projects and/or areas experiencing staff shortages. All employees may be asked to volunteer to assist in areas of need during these times. These assignments could result in a change of hours, location, and/or travel.
Why Servus Credit Union? We live our values in how we do business and how we treat our employees. Servus Credit Union is one of Canada’s 50 Best Managed Companies. Servus is committed to being socially responsible and living the co-operative values. Through our operations, we strive to make a positive impact on our economy, the environment and society. We know that our employees are our most valuable assets so we offer ongoing growth and career advancement and we reward employees for their hard work and achievements.