With Interac e-Transfer®, you can send money to anyone with a Canadian bank account and an email address or mobile phone number. It’s fast and easy. Plus, it's available in both online and mobile banking so it's there when you need it.
Interac e-Transfer comes with flexibility built in.
- Send money from your Servus chequing or savings account.
- Notify your recipient by email, text message or both.
- View, resend or cancel a transfer anytime (until your recipient deposits it).
- Register for Autodeposit so transfers sent to you can be automatically deposited into your account.
- Use Request Money to ask someone for the money they owe.
Any transfers you send or receive will appear in your transaction history and on your statements, so you always have a record.
While Interac e-Transfer is an easy and convenient method to transfer money, it's important that you take precautions to make sure your money is transferred safely and securely. Once money is sent via Interac e-Transfer, it is no longer protected by Servus’s security systems.
- Only send cash to people you know and trust. An Interac e-Transfer can't be reversed once the funds are deposited.
- Make sure to create a security question and answer that is not easy to guess. The answer should be something that only you and your recipient know and that would be hard for someone else to guess or to research online.
- Don't share your security question and answer using unsecure methods (e.g. providing it in the question field or posting publicly on social media).
- Set up autodeposit so your money is automatically transferred to your account without the need to enter an answer to a security question.
Here are some additional things you can consider doing to further protect your money when sending it through an Interac e-Transfer:
- Suggest that anyone you send money to sign up for the autodeposit feature.
- If you don’t receive a notification that your Interac e-Transfer was successfully deposited within a few days, reach out to that person to ask them about the delay. You can cancel the pending Interac e-Transfer if you have any concerns.
Sign in to online banking using the link at the top of this page.
The first time you use Interac e-Transfer, you'll need to create a sender profile, which includes your:
- Email address
- Mobile phone number
You can also add your recipient(s). You'll need:
- Their name, email address and/or mobile phone number
- A security question (and one-word answer). Your recipient may need to answer this question in order to receive the transfer.
Tip: Keep your transfer safe by creating a unique or difficult security question. The answer should be something that only you and your recipient know and that would be hard for someone else to guess. If you need to remind the recipient what it is, send them the answer through a different communication channel than the transfer (for example: if you're sending by email, send the answer through a text message).
- Choose a recipient.
- Enter the required information. If you enter a message for the recipient, don't give away the answer to the security question.
- Click Send. The amount of your transfer plus the service fee will be withdrawn from your account immediately.
If you receive a request for money from someone else:
- Follow the prompts in the notification email you received.
- Choose your bank or credit union and follow their instructions for signing in.
- Accept or decline the request.
Tip: Protect yourself! Only fulfill requests for money that you were expecting. If you don't know the person/business that sent the request or why they are asking for money, don't respond to it in any way. Instead, delete the request immediately.
- Click the link in the email or text message notification that you received.
- Select Alberta from the list of provinces and Servus Credit Union from the list of financial institutions. Then click Deposit.
- Sign in using your online/mobile banking user ID and password. Create your transfer profile, if required.
- Answer the sender's security question.
- Follow the prompts to accept the transfer.
Tip: Receiving money is even easier with Autodeposit. Link your email address to your Servus account and transfers sent to you will be automatically deposited. You can register for Autodeposit from the Interac e-Transfer site.
If you're owed money by someone else, you can use Interac e-Transfer to ask for the funds.
- Complete the Request Money form, adding the person you want to request money from to your recipient list if required.
- Sit back and wait. You'll receive an email notification when the recipient fulfills your request. The funds they send will be automatically deposited into your account.
- Please be aware that any fees associated with receiving this transfer, may be applied to your account, rather than the person sending the money.
How do I set up autodeposit?
- Log into the Servus mobile app or online banking
- Select “Interac e-Transfer” and launch the tool
- Select “Autodeposit”
- Add any email addresses you want autodeposits to be set up for
Is there a fee for using Interac e-Transfer?
This depends on your account. Many of our personal banking plans include unlimited free e-Transfers. For other plans we charge a small fee for each Interac e-Transfer that you send. There may be a fee for depositing a transfer through the Request Money feature.
Do I need to know my recipient's account information in order to send them an Interac e-Transfer?
No. The only information you need to know is their name, email address and/or mobile phone number.
If I cancel an Interac e-Transfer before the recipient deposits it, will I get the service fee back?
We're not able to refund the service fee, but we will deposit the full amount of the transfer back into your account.
If I resend a pending Interac e-Transfer, is more money withdrawn from my account?
No. Resending an Interac e-Transfer will only resend the notification to your recipient.
Can I send or receive US funds with Interac e-Transfer?
No. You can only send and receive Canadian funds using Interac e-Transfer.
Does an Interac e-Transfer expire if the recipient doesn't deposit it?
- Yes. Your recipient has 30 days to deposit the money you send them. If they don't deposit the money within that time, then the amount of the transfer will be deposited back into your account. The service fee will not be refunded.
- Leaving the funds in this state increases the risk of an intercepted Interac e-Transfer.
- If you do not receive notification that the Interac e-Transfer was successfully deposited by your intended recipient within a few days, reach out and inquire about the delay. You can cancel the pending Interac e-Transfer if you have any concerns.
Does a request for money expire if the recipient doesn't fulfill it?
Yes. Each request for money includes a due date by which payment is required. If the due date passes and the recipient hasn't fulfilled the request, it will expire. The service fee for sending a request for money will not be refunded.
Can I send money to someone living outside of Canada?
As long as your recipient has a Canadian bank account in which to deposit the funds, and an email address to receive the notification, they should be able to accept it. If you're sending the notification by text message, they must also have a Canadian mobile phone number.
Can I send an Interac e-Transfer notification to a landline?
No. Notifications can only be sent to Canadian mobile phone numbers.
I sent an Interac e-Transfer but the recipient says they didn’t get the notification. What went wrong?
It's possible that Interac hasn't sent the notification out yet. This usually happens as soon as you submit the transfer request, but there can be delays. You can also check that you entered the email address and/or mobile phone number correctly. Your recipient should also check their junk mail folder.
I sent an Interac e-Transfer but it isn’t listed under Pending Transfers in online banking. Does that mean it didn’t send?
Pending Interac e-Transfers are listed in the Interac e-Transfer site, not in online banking. To view them:
- Sign in to online banking and open the Interac e-Transfer site
- Select View/Resend/Cancel Pending Transfers
Are there limits on the amount of money I can send by Interac e-Transfer?
Terms and conditions
Servus online banking, including Interac e-Transfer, is subject to the terms and conditions in our Digital Banking Agreement.